Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Summation


sometimes I just NEED to go back an reread what I decided to be thankful for and when.  Sometimes I astound myself and sometimes I marvel at the wisdom God places into my hands when I am typing ....and sometimes I laugh!

transferred these THANKS....giving thoughts just to have a record of what I wrote in November.  

But do not feel any duty to reread all of this.  It is just a record for me.


Thanksgiving Challenge: Name a food you are thankful for and why!

My answer....butter because it makes nearly everything taste better!

Thanksgiving Challenge --Day #2

Name a place you are thankful to be able to go.......and why!

My answer.....the library......I feel so comforted by books and there is so much stuff that is interesting and it is all FREE! [thanks Ben Franklin]

Thanksgiving practice Day #3....What is one [try to be specific] thing you are thankful for concerning your work? [Be it at home or away from home, we all work]

My answer: I am thankful to make an emotional connection with patients. From there I can begin to teach and offer comfort and hope.

Thanksgiving practice Day #4 What is an old thing you are thankful for.

My answer: I am thankful for an old milkhouse table that my great-grandparents rescued and [in their minds] cleaned up a bit. It sat in the livingroom all my growing up years and it now sits in my livingroom [received it as a wedding gift. from Grandma] double dropleaf with a hideaway drawer.

THANKS...giving practice Day #5...Say a beverage that you are thankful for....and why[!]

My answer....distilled and cold water...I grew up hating the idea of drinking water [do not have a good reason at all, we had spring water from our own springs. But now water or water with lemon or diluted down most anything is my go to beverage!

Thanks...giving practice #6...Where is a place you are particularly thankful to sit?.....and why? try not to just say 'cause it is comfy.

My answer is an undecided twofer....at the computer may be first but under "my tree" in Colonial Williamsburg or any other non bug infested beautiful forrest-y place. One brings me into the world of what others think and one removes me from them! In each place I see God at work.

Thanks....giving practice Day #7...this could get political but I call you to think deeply instead of superficially. What is a new thing for which you can give God thanks.

My answer: not terribly new but still new...is home blood glucose monitors...It was not that long ago when diabetics adjusted their medication, their exercise and food intake based on an every 3-6 month blood test. Now they have the option to do those adjustments on an hourly basis.....what a difference! I am thankful for new advances in medicine!

Thanks....giving Practice Day #8 Name a color you are thankful for and try to say why!

My answer: Black....here is why...in the book "Mister God, This is Anna" a 4 year old announces to her adult friend that God is black. Asked why she thought so she said cause you taught me that white is all the colors bouncing back and blue is the color that bounces off the ocean and that black doesn't bounce back nothin'...God is black cause He takes us all! He don't back nothin'!

Thanks ...giving practice Day 9.....what can you thank God for that you do not have?

My answer: I am thankful that I do not have it easy...a path all smoothed out before me with no bumps and bruises because I think I would not understand the pain of others if I had not felt my own pain.

Thanks ....giving practice Day #10 What is an activity you participate in that you can give thinks to God for having in your life

My Answer......Pack the food for 10,000 over in the town of Dagsboro. I have participated for many years in this fun activity of the community coming together to assemble boxes of food goods so that families can prepare a thanksgiving meal together.

Thanks .....giving Practice Day 11...Name a pet you have been thankful to own and why was that particular pet especially important to you.

My answer: a nearly grown full bred golden retriever that was running wild on some property near us. We adopted him cut the mats out of his hair, named him Watch Dog from the boxcar Children's literature, ...fed him, watered him, chased him through the neighborhood when he would go romping and nursed him through lymes disease and cried the day he died. He was beautiful! But especially Gene loved him and the connection Gene had with all animals was represented in that relationship with Watch.

Thanks...giving practice #12 Name a movie you are thankful for......

My answer...there are so many I will mention 2...The Jesus Film because when Kate age 18 months saw it she gave her heart to Jesus [there is a whole story to that, but it is very very true] and Spitfire Grill where I have no idea if Christians were behind the writing but God's redemptive power is seen through out. This is a story for adults [it includes themes not for children] but it is so powerful!

Thanks....giving Practice #13 What is an Old Testament Scripture that grabs your heart? Can you share why?

My answer: Again too many to say but two that immediately come to mind are.....

Deuteronomy 30:6 Moreover the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live. 

Because I was not raised knowing my redeemer or my need of Him...I needed to know his intent was to mark my heart for Him!....and that mark would continue forward

........and Psalm 19:7-14 Where I learned praise and worship!

The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the Lord are true; they are righteous altogether.
They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
Moreover, by them Your servant is warned;
In keeping them there is great reward.
Who can discern his errors? Acquit me of hidden faults.
Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins;
Let them not rule over me;
Then I will be blameless,
And I shall be acquitted of great transgression.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight, oh Lord my rock and my redeemer.
O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.




THANKS ....giving Practice Day #14....Who is a painter that you can give thanks to God for the talent used. Can you add a link to a favorite painting?

My answer: Norman Rockwell.....many many of his painting make me smile but apparently I do not have the computer skills to transfer one of his images here! [have tried 4 times!]

THANKS.......giving Practice Day #
15...Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving tradition [one that has to do with giving thanks to God[!]]

My answer: when Kate was an infant we began to trace everyone's hand each Thanksgiving morning and then make that tracing into a Tom Turkey. We would then list things we were thankful for on the feathers and the child as able would print or write their name and age on the body of the bird. At some point in the day we read all the years of thanks.

THANKS....giving Practice Day 16....will you share a memory that you give thanks to God for?

My answer: sitting for many long hours with my grandmother in the years after my mother's death [she outlived her daughter by 6 years] We rehashed relationships and connections as she told tidbits about people in the family. I am glad I spent that time listening to her and asking questions. 

Thanks....giving practice Day 17...Will you name a autumnal memory of childhood?

I remember ice skating at night. We lived atop a large hill and had a pond at the base of said hill. We would come home from school, stopping to stomp on the edges of the ice and slowly slide on our bellies out over the ice to see if it was solid enough for the first skate, quickly finish homework and I suppose we
 ate though I don't remember how that fit into the day...and then skates slung over our backs we would walk/slide down to the pond and skate and try to stay out my brothers hockey puck's way. There would be bonfire and we would spend the entire evening at the pond, coming home in time to go to bed at 9 pm to be ready for school the next day. When I hear "By the light, of the silvery moon" I don't think romance, I think ....cold and sliding.....another time I will tell you what Mr. Hinkle did when he had time to come to the pond [how we loved it when he came] and then there is the story of Basket at the pond.

THANKS ...giving practice Day 18 ......name a favorite food you usually only eat for Thanksgiving Day ...and be thanks FULL about the joy that brings you....

My answer: Peas with pearl onions.....I know that may seem weird but I only eat them at Thanksgiving and I LOVE eating them! Why not every week?.....I have no idea!


THANKS ....giving practice Day 19.........Name something you do in the service of others that brings you no recognition but warms your heart as you give.

My answer: Feed the 10,000 in Dagsboro, DE. I look forward to it and my children always enjoyed participating as well. Today is the day [I just could not go last year....but I am going today] We will package a nice meal with some traditional Thanksgiving foods and some information on applying for work with the local chicken processing plant and some information on Christ Jesus and the location of a church that wants to be help. NICE PACKAGE! Organizations then distribute the packages.

Thanks.......giving practice Day #20 time for a New Testament scripture for which you give specific thanks....try not to just say ..all of them even though that is true...what is one that really stirs your thanks?

My answer: Hebrews 13:17 Obey your leaders. Be willing to do what they say. They are responsible for your spiritual welfare, so they are always watching to protect you. Obey them so that their work will give them joy, not grief. It won’t help you to make it hard for them.

And the reason for this is it is hard to do ; I have to work at it and act with intent and then I notice when it is less difficult and I can be thankful.

THANKS ....giving practice Day#21....In what way can you be thankful for the most difficult trial you have been through? [these kinds of thanks are the hardest]

My answer: With Gene's death, the end of homeschooling, and the hurricane making the roof replacement essential [all within a 4 month period]...I am thankful that I have learned [actually still working hard at learning] that I CAN find things to be thankful for and about and without sarcasm I can say I AM thankful....to God for these experiences that have pulled me into Him.

THANKS....giving practice Day #22..........No challenge today just me saying Thanks to God for an easier Thanksgiving Day this year. The new normal of family walk at Trap Pond while sipping coffee and eating fritters and now we are home preparing a meal together. 

If this is a difficult day for you [for any of many different reasons] try this trick.....begin saying little things you are grateful for like The Believers in Christ in the Sudan, like sewer workers who care about their jobs to do them well, like for the efforts of others to try to make a nice day together, or for a hymn you remember, you can not give praise at the same time you lament....Do just one or two things and make a vow to think of another one tomorrow. God IS love and He wants to see you through this difficult time.


No comments: